How To Help A Loved One
- Get hold of your emotions. Try to limit your immediate reaction to lessen the strain on your relationship with your loved one.
- Forgive. Release your anger, hurt and shame through forgiveness. This prevents bitterness from setting in.
- Get God’s perspective. This is NOT the end of the world. Homosexuality is sin, but it is not the “worst” sin and is not “incurable”. God doesn’t hate homosexuals – he loves them and wants to redeem them.
- Keep lines of communication open. Our words can either build up or tear down.
- Demonstrate love and acceptance. Sometimes our love must be firm. We cannot compromise our standards. However your loved one must understand that your disapproval of his/her behavior is not a rejection of him/her personally.
- Let go. You have to trust your loved one into the care of God. You can’t save him/her.
- Pray. You can pray! God does answer prayers, but not in the way we want. God’s timing is perfect and He will help you.